Monday, May 12, 2008

Shanghai Biz Trip Day 2

My alarm rang at 5.30am in the morning. I was immediately wide awake as I felt uncomfortable sleeping in a foreign room all by myself. I immediately headed for the bathroom to soak in the warm tub (the room was pretty cold). I found out on the 3rd that that it was because i had the setting wrong - stupid me - so i was suffering for 3 days in the cold room.

Before I left the room I managed to take pictures of my hotel room view…

At 6.45am sharp i was downstairs with Ivan and we took a cab to Intel together. I've never really talked to Ivan much but he proved to be quite a nice person (very unlike my initial impression of him). We chatted throughout the way in the taxi. When we neared the industrial area, the taxi driver told us he did not know how to get to Intel. :O What's that supposed to mean? I thought to myself, you are a cab driver if you didn't know the place you should not commit to bring us there in the first place! But apparently it's very common in Shanghai. Ppl do anything they can to earn money, never pass over a business opportunity. That's the way it goes...Anyway, luckily Ivan has been to Intel Pudong a million times and could recognize the way. But that banana did not know mandarin and started pointing in random directions - confusing the cab driver. At last i had to translate the directions in my broken mandarin and we managed to get there. Phew!

~Before I proceed further...I would like to comment on the driving in Shanghai. It really commands my respect. All drivers in Shanghai are like pro drivers, no one use brakes there. Motorist with high heel and under utilized rearview mirror, in a nutshell definitely will get heart attack.~

After work, YY wanted to try out Peking duck for dinner. So we ended at this fancy restaurant. As expected we kena cut throat there, but the food was good. 3 of us (YY Ivan and me) ate the whole duck. Don't think its a lot...after the sifu cut the duck its only abt 2 small plates of meat and 1 plate of crispy duck skin. Before i left i managed to take a picture with a waitress which had the funny china hairdo.

After dinner I went to the Shanghai Bund (more known as Sheong Hoi Than in Cantonese) with Ivan. It was a marvelous sight. Full of lights…see the pics below.
Anyway Ivan belanja me eat sotong….wah damn nice! The most delicious food that I had in Shanghai.
We walked backed to the hotel as it was nearby (abt 15 mins walk)…then zzzzzzz.

No comments: